Walker School is a small elementary school with ninety-nine students, pre-K through grade five, serving the towns of Liberty and Montville, Maine.
We have a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/walkerschool/
Our garden program has a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/waldogrowers/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf
Students on the Garden Committee worked all September in preparation for our Common Ground Fair presentation. Check it out!
Changes at Walker School as We Move Forward with Proficiency Based Education
At Walker School, we have been working to help students better understand what
they are learning, why they are learning it, and how they can show that they have
learned it. Classroom teachers are sharing “Measurement Topics” with their students,
which outline the progression of learning that happens as students move through their
education at Walker School and beyond. When students show that they have
mastered a skill, they keep track of their learning and move on to the next skill in
the progression. Ideally, we are headed for a school where students aren’t in certain
grades, but are moving fluidly between levels of learning. A classroom may have
multiple levels of learning taking place, or students may be regrouped throughout the
day, sometimes changing the teacher they are working with depending on their level
of mastery in each subject they are studying. Teachers at Walker School are at
different levels of implementation of the proficiency based program, but all are
moving to increase their understanding and comfort with the new approach.
The History of Walker School- (writings from Liberty Town Reports and the Walker Banner)
On Sunday night, December 30, 1935 the Liberty High School buildings and their contents burned. The superintending school committee called a meeting to take necessary steps to secure temporary quarters to house the school for the remainder of the year.
High school and primary schools were held in the basement of the Community Hall. The grammar school moved to the second floor of what is now the Liberty Tool Company.
The Walker family (Donald, Miss Katherine and Miss Madge) came to the town’s aid as there was little insurance and money was in short supply. Construction for the new school began on September 10, 1936. Donald Walker asked Carol Banks to oversee the school’s construction. Mr. Banks put in many hours. Many other local people worked on the school as well.
The school was finished and a dedication was held on January 16, 1937. Six hundred people were in attendance.
The Town of Liberty felt extremely fortunate. They had a beautiful new brick building with a slate roof. The building had steam heat fired by a wood boiler. There were indoor bathrooms, running water and a drinking fountain in the main hall. There were fire hoses both up and downstairs. There were rooms for recreation, science and stenography. There was a Principal’s Office (where it is today) and a boiler room. Clayborn Stickney was the first janitor.
The town named the school “Walker High School” and it opened officially on September 13, 1937 with students primary age through high school. In 1964 the high school students were moved to Mount View, in 1970 grades 7 and 8 were moved to Mount View and in 2009 the 6th grade students were moved to Mount View. Walker continues as a PreK – 5 school today with approximately 95 students.